Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Duct Tape Dress Form . . . Not

So, after talking with my mother, I decided to make a duct tape dress form.  It seemed rather easy and an amazing resource while I have been on this sewing adventure.  After doing some research on it, my husband and I purchased several rolls of pink duct tape, a PVC pipe, plastic wrap, a pipe flanges, etc.  It seemed like a fairly easy task, so we started out later in the evening.  Nearly three hours later, I was sweating away in several layers of plastic wrap and duct tape.  Even though I wanted to climb into the bathtub and go to bed, I needed to tape the form closed, added expanding foam insulator, fill in the other spaces with polyfiber fill, etc.  Sadly, once it was done, the measurements were off.

Last Sunday evening, we decided to try it again.  This time I decided to wear a garbage bag and rock the homeless bag dress.  It seemed a lot easier and the form seemed to fit a lot better. Later that night, I finished filling it with foam insulator and fiber fill.  I was extremely excited to finally have a working dress form.  After taping it up, we were making plans to attach it to the mobile base.  Unfortunately, we were too tired last night.  I thought it still might work without the base in order to do some minor alterations to one of my shirts.  A shirt that is normally too big on me would barely fit the dress form!!  Arg!

In the end, I decided that I will either buy the kit from My Twin Dress Form or make my own plaster dress form.  Sad to say, I do not have a tutorial on how to make a duct tape dress form.  However, if you want to try it, there are plenty of awesome resources on the internet!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment